Throughout his professional career, Dr. Richard E Boyd has earned the reputation of being one of the finest orthodontists in the area. His unique combination of experience, technical expertise and warm, personal approach to care has attracted people of all ages, satisfying patients and parents alike.
- In 1978, Dr. Boyd received his undergraduate degree from the University of South Carolina as a cum laude graduate.
- He then attended the Medical University of South Carolina where he attained his DMD degree as an honor graduate.
- To complete his education, he obtained his Master’s degree and specialty certificate in orthodontics at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill.
- Dr. Boyd established practice in Northeast Columbia in 1984 and shortly after added another office in the Shandon area.
- His most recent addition, the Sunset Boulevard office, opened in 2012.
In addition to providing superior orthodontic care to the Columbia area, Dr. Boyd has shared his passion and knowledge by teaching the art and techniques of orthodontics to colleagues in his profession throughout the United States, Europe, Australia, and Canada. He has been a frequent guest lecturer for the American Association of Orthodontists, as well as for the highly regarded Gorman Institute, and is the author of several publications on orthodontics.
Throughout his career, Dr. Boyd has served as president of the South Carolina Orthodontic Association, Greater Columbia Dental Association, and is a member of the American Association of Orthodontists and the American Dental Association. He is also one of a select few orthodontists who was chosen as “The Best Dentists in America”, an honor bestowed upon him by other orthodontists/dentists throughout the country.
He and his wife of 31 years, Stacy, have three children, Ali, Mallory, and Reb.